I was struggling to come up with something to have for dinner today. I was literally sat there for about half an hour trying to think of what I could make with the things I had in my fridge and cupboards. I really fancied lasagne but thought “bummer! I don’t have any sauce to do that and I don’t have the right ingredients”.
I had most but I was missing soya milk to make a cheese sauce. I had coconut milk though. Lightbulb moment finally came to me! I thought why not make the cheese sauce and substitute the soya milk with coconut milk? It actually turned out pretty well if I do say so myself. So good in fact that I thought i’d share my recipe. Apologies, for most things I won’t put exact measurements because I don’t really measure. I just sort of know when it is enough.
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 300 ml coconut milk
- black pepper
- lasagne sheets
- garlic butter
- grated cheese
Recipe for cheese sauce
- Melt the butter in a pan
- Once the butter is melted, slowly stir in the cornflour.
- Remove the pan from the heat and slowly stir the coconut milk. Stir until the mixture is not lumpy.
- Once all the coconut milk has bee added, return to the fire and slowly simmer for 8-12 mins.
- Stir in the cheese. I usually use about 100g of cheese or however much it takes to get it to the thickness I want.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Remove from heat and leave to cool.
Recipe for lasagne
- If you have used fresh spinach, wilt and stir in the garlic butter. I usually put it in a bowl, put cling film on top and stick it in the microwave for 3 mins. If you are using frozen chopped spinach, just defrost and stir in your garlic butter.
- Get your oven proof dish and cover the bottom with pasta sheet.
- Spoon on the first layer of spinach
- add another layer of pasta sheets and keep alternating between these 2 steps until you have done about 5 layers (3 layers sheets and 2 layers spinach). Make sure that the final layer is sheet.
- pour over the cheese sauce to cover the top
- put in oven at 200-220 degrees celsius and bake for between 30-40 mins or until it is cooked.
Once cooked all you have to do is enjoy 🙂